Rowe the Equalizer

4:06 PM Posted by Knox McCoy

(Originally Published on 1/18/08)

I’m resisting the urge to talk about my resolutions, because at this point in my life it’s more important to look back on ‘08 than to project forward through ‘09.

January is always a time when optimism and regret similarly bloom. 2008 was a year with some big moments with Rowe obviously being the most significant. The past year was undeniably his year as we found out that he would be coming right as spring was arriving. Most of what occurred (and will be remembered) was directly related to him and most all of it is drenched in happiness.

But as hard as it is to see 2008 outside the prism of Rowe, there is a roll call of big events that also happened throughout the year.

It seemed to be a year where God spoke very clearly through numerous failures and dead ends. It’s funny how we rarely consult God when we feel like we have a great idea or plan, but when our plans invariably go awry we are eager to seek Him out to salvage whatever is left.

There were personal shortcomings, professional failures, and a healthy dose of discouragement. Old friends drifted and new relationships emerged. Fresh interests and renewed talents emerged.

But even in the face of some of the less than ideal happenings of this year, I have an overwhelming feeling that my compass is pointed in the right direction. If that comes across as a boast, keep in mind that I write those words with a decent amount of debris just behind me. I just turned 26 and this is the first time I feel like I have any kind of definitive clue as to what I should be doing.

One of my devotions recently came from Genesis 50 when Joseph’s brothers come to him. They ask for mercy from Joseph for all the terrible things they did to him through their conspiracies against him. Joseph is quick to grant forgiveness because had the evil designs of all his brothers not happened, he wouldn’t be where he was.

I can relate to being in the middle of the aftermath of regret. Aimless. Inefficient. Wasteful. Failure. All of these things still sit in my not-so-distant rearview mirror. But instead of these things being held against me, I think God is using those experiences to prepare me for the path He has for me.

But like I said, everything else pales in comparison to the magnitude of Rowe. Anything bad, embarrassing, or regretful that happened in ’08 is sweetened and salvaged by his birth. I guess you could call him, Rowe the Equalizer for helping out the good and the bad of ‘08.