Shutter Island Review (NO SPOILERS)

8:44 PM Posted by Knox McCoy


If you're like me, you don't make your movie selections flippantly. Free time is exceedingly precious these days and I can't have my date nights wasted on movies like "He's Just Not That Into You" (NEVER AGAIN!).

The Wife and I enjoyed a dinner and movie date night this weekend where we took in Marty Scorsese's Shutter Island. Normally the Wife does not like cinematical fare of Shutter's type, but it was either Shutter or When in Rome and I mean c'mon...there are certain standards we all need to aspire to.

Regardless, this movie seems to be a love it or hate it thing, so I thought about recapping it for curious minds in case they find themselves in a similar state of scrutinization.

Without blowing the plot, I'll daintily recap the various elements of the movie to help you decide if you should see it or not.

There are the Along Came Daddyhood approved 5 elements I use to critique a movie. If a movie wins the point, it wins a star. The best rating would obviously be 5 stars (The Godfather) with the worst being 0 stars (New Moon. TAKE THAT, EDWARD CULLEN).

The rating categories are as follows: Overall Awesomeness, Reasonable Suspension of Disbelief, Intrigue, Time Efficiency, Resonance.

#1: Overall Awesomeness
Was the experience of this movie awesome? 

Yes. Yes it was. It was shot well...it was innovative...and it was freaking Scorsese and DiCaprio. And it was based on a Dennis Lehane novel, whose works have historically translated well to cinema (see Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone).

My thought is this: within every movie, a handful of moments exist which organically determine if the movie is "awesome" or loathsome. If you roll your eyes or snort in cynicism, then it's safe to say that this is NOT an awesome movie. You've probably experienced this in any Tyler Perry or Nic Cage movie.

If, however, you feel inclined to roll with the moment, then the movie can be considered awesome because the movie has earned your movie-going trust.

Shutter Island gave me several moments where I resisted eye rolling and instead appreciated the moment for what it was.

Star 1/1

#2: Reasonable Suspension of Disbelief
Could I reasonable suspend my powers of disbelief for this movie?

This is tricky to ascertain because the plot of the movie dabbles in the freaky. I mean THEY SHOW AN OLD LADY WITH HER HAIR FALLING OUT IN THE PREVIEW SHUSHING YOU THE VIEWER. Nothing. is. off. the. table.




Going into this movie, we understand that the typical contexts with which we are familiar with can no longer be applied.

Understanding that, we have to look at Shutter Island within the universe it inhabits: an insane asylum for the criminally insane. Nothing in the plot violates this setting and most everything revolves around the creepy presence of the asylum looming over the plot.

Do weird things happen? Most Def. But, it happens within the context of a jail for the criminally insane and the delusion  that comes with it. I understand that delusion could make for a liberal interpretation, but hey at least it's not SPARKLING VAMPIRES. AM I RIGHT?

Star 2/2

#3: Intrigue
Was I intrigued by this movie?

Two federal agents are investigating a woman's disappearance on an island built to house the criminally insane and Leo DiCaprio is involved? Why yes, I think this is something I might be interested in.

Most movies reveal the heft of their plot in their previews, but Shutter Island managed to keep the curtain closed on the essential elements of the plot. The premise alone is enough to keep most intrigued, but the real accomplishment is extending this intrigue once the ticket is purchased.

Star 3/3


#4: Time Efficiency
Was this movie efficient with it's length?

Ummm, kind of? There were some parts that felt a little unnecessary, but overall everything stayed pretty relevant. You'll catch yourself watch glancing once, maybe twice. But nothing like when my dad stared at his watch for the final 2 hours of installment #1 of Lord of The Rings.

Star 3.5/4

#5: Resonance
Did this movie resonate with me?

Yes it did, but not how I wanted. And this is probably the major point of contention among movie-goers. There's something of a subplot involving kids. For some, this is no big deal. But for others, like the Wife and myself, it hits a little closer to home and resonates a little more loudly.

Outside of the kids aspect, very little else resonated with me. Like I said, it's an institution for the criminally insane. Not exactly an active part of my day-to-day life.


Total Stars: 3.5 / 5


Additional Items
What I did not like:
*Delusional Gore
*Leo DiCaprio's accent
*Mark Ruffalo

What I did like:
*Michelle Williams' accent
*Ben Kingsley
*Jackie Earle Haley

Hopefully this helps. Let me know if you see it or if you've seen it and what you thought.